Burned In The Back Of My Mind

For years I've had the same image burned into my mind. I am sitting in a studio apartment in New York City. I am grown, graduated from college, and living on my own. The cramped apartment feels strangely huge in its vacancy, it's brick walls lit only by a single florescent bulb that hangs above the table. Wind and snow whip past the windows, the chill seeping into the room through the cracks. I push the food from my microwaved meal around the plate with disinterest. I repeatedly glance at my watch until its face reads midnight. "Merry Christmas," I say to no one in particular. I am alone, disowned, and unwanted on a holiday meant to be spent with family and close friends. "But it's your fault" they'd say. "You were the one who chose to be gay."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vertically Challenged

High School Baggage